Stilettos and Diapers: C-section vs VBAC


C-section vs VBAC

Having had Cooper via c-section, after 39 hours of unsuccessful labor, I just always thought I'd have the rest of my babies that way. After all, I have a really tall husband who was 11-something-lbs at birth, so I figured I'd always have babies too big to get out of me. 

When Callan was born, I went into labor 3 days before my scheduled c-section. It was a total shock to me and I was unprepared. I was so late with Cooper that I just assumed it would be the same the second time around. After just a few hours of contractions, we went to the hospital and I had a repeat c-section then. I didn't even think at the time to have the Doctor check how far along I was or think about the potential of a natural birth. 

Fast forward to this third pregnancy and everything has been different. It's been a very easy pregnancy, my first one without some sort of bed rest, about 20lbs less weight gain and a much smaller baby, according to ultrasound measurements. All that and I've literally done nothing different. 

My desire to have a natural birth has grown like crazy. Part of it, is that I've always been fascinated with the birth process. I interned with a midwife before nursing school and was trained as a Doula. I thought I'd have these amazing, natural births and pretty much just gave up on that after Cooper was born. The other part, is that I know how c-sections go. When Cooper's heart rate dropped and it was a bit essential, I was all about it. I was so surprised when Callan decided to come early, that I was all about it then, too. Now, I'm freaking myself out about the surgery itself and the recovery time. It's challenging when you have enough time to think and prep to go under the knife. I would love a shorter recovery and to skip the risks involved in a surgery. I know there are risks to VBAC's as well, but since I'll be in the hospital anyway, I feel pretty comforted that everything would be okay. I'm a good VBAC candidate with the amount of time between babies and how I've healed. 

My Doctor has told me that if I go into labor on my own and if I'm far enough along once I get to the hospital, that I can try to deliver naturally. That has been my prayer now for the past couple of months. With just 2 days to go, I'm getting a little antsy, hoping something happens really soon. I've been walking, swimming and boating, so I'm hoping that helps some. 

At the end of the day, I want a healthy baby and delivery, regardless of how that happens. But my preference would absolutely be a natural delivery. 

Have any of you had VBAC's? Any c-section pros have experiences that may help calm my jitters? I'd love to hear your stories! 


  1. I'm so happy to read this! I loce that you've educated yourself on your options & made a choice that works best for YOU! I'll pray that this baby decides to come soon, quickly & you have a wonderful delivery. I had both of my babies vaginally so I don't have any VBAC advice for you.

  2. Do you have a local ICAN chapter (most have very active Facebook group). I think ACOG now approves of trial of labor after 2 c-sections. I have had 2 c-sections and if I have more children would for sure try for VBA2C

  3. this was my hope with LC but 40 weeks and no progress at all, so c section number two was my result. it was so much easier though without going into labor etc prior! I am praying for you mama. I can't wait to see him!!!!

  4. I had a natural birth with my first and a Csection with my second. Csection is the way to go. I would never have a natural birth again. I healed faster with a Csection! Good luck!

  5. It is funny how similar our stories are. I had a c-sec after an unsuccessful labor with my first. With my second, I just scheduled my c-sec, and I went into labor two days before hand. I was bumped ahead of all of the other ladies that had their C-sections scheduled. With my third, I had a new doctor. I wanted to just schedule my c-sec because the thought of a v-bac scared me. My new doctor really wanted me to try to have my baby naturally. We agreed to compromise. We scheduled the c-sec, but he had me promise that if I went into labor, I'd at least try to have the baby naturally. I didn't get to try because I didn't go into labor before my scheduled date, but I will say that my third being the only c-sec that I had that I wasn't in labor prior to was so much easier. My recovery was a little easier, and the process was smoother. It was a little strange having a baby with out any contractions prior to. I wish you the best which ever way your baby makes it's entrance. <3

  6. I would love to have a vbac but it's not an option for me :(. I knew going in that I had a narrow pelvic outlet but plenty of women have one and have vaginal births. Not me :(. Mine is so narrow no full term baby is coming out. My guy was so stuck that his head molded so badly that he almost needed a helmet! I get kind of tired of some
    Peoples comments that I should have waited longer/tried harder/whatever "advice" they have. I also get annoyed at people suggesting a vbac if we have another. It's not an automatic option for all people. We both had some other complications that made it the best option and would be the best option again. I'm not keen on the thought of a second surgery and recovery though so we are undecided on another for that and many reasons lol. My recovery however, was a breeze from what I expected! Hope yours is too!!!! And I wish you'd have gotten your chance to try! But oh well for us lol ;)

  7. I had 3 c-sections and my 3rd was very hard to recover from. Best wishes to you!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...